Saturday, November 20, 2010

Playing

 Okay so I decided to play around a little bit.  I played with the color and maybe the exposure too I can't even remember.  I just did it in the Windows Photo Gallery program that I upload all my pics to on my computer.  I'm not sure how I feel about it honestly.  I think it looks kinda cool, but maybe too fake.  I dunno, I guess like we've talked about, there's really no "right" or "wrong" but does it just look dumb?  Seriously, you can't/won't hurt my feelings right now because I am so new at this, I have no opinion of my pictures.  I'm just trying to figure out what looks good and what doesn't, AND how to do it. :-)  I want pure honesty.  Here is the original pic.  Overexposed?  His face looks a little washed out, huh?
 f/8
1/125
iso400
135mm
I like seeing what my the settings on my camera were cause now I can see, I could have sped up the shutter speed right?

...and here is another original.  Underexposed right? 
 f/9
1/125
iso100
250mm
Could have opened up the aperture...?  it was cloudy, but if opening up the aperture worked, is the iso ok or should i have bumped that up since it was not a sunny day, at all, and iso 100 is for a very sunny day right?

So in windows photo gallery, I pushed the "auto correct" button and got this...

and then brightened it a little bit more cause I thought it needed more...does this one look a little grainy?  His cheeks do to me, or something...

2 comments:

  1. you could've sped up the sutter speed, but I wouldn't have if I were you. I would've opened up the aperture bigger. You're right, his second one is underexposed, and when you brighten a picture that's underexposed, it makes it more grainy. That's why his cheeks look like that.

    The first one is overexposed. There are some blown spots on his face and his stuffed animal. The edit looks really cute, the way it brings out the colors. But notice how it adds more contrast to his face too? Well, I used to get told that my pictures had too much contrast and I've spent forever trying to figure out how to get those creamy looking skin tones. Finally figured it out -- I needed less contrast on the faces/skin. So, if you were to edit that in Photoshop, you'd apply that fun color and contrast to the background and then erase it (or at least most of it) from his face. That's the kind of stuff you do in Photoshop to make the picture just perfect. Applying certain things to only certain parts of the picture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. By the way, you should start playing with Elements. I've seen people do some pretty nice picture with just Elements. It would be good to start playing with it before you go to your Photoshop class, because they have a lot of similarities. I use LEVELS a lot in Photoshop. I think Elements has levels. I could teach you some stuff with that.

    ReplyDelete