Thursday, November 18, 2010

Riding bikes

I tried some action shots today.  I felt like I was all over the place, changing the fstop and shutterspeed to try and get the best exposure.  Then I put it in auto and they used a much higher shutterspeed than I was using...they used up to 1600.  There is so much to learn!
f/5.6
1/500
iso200
135mm


 Is this photo overexposed?  Do people shoot that way on purpose sometimes?  p.s. this is a typical look for Kylie...outside riding her bike in pajamas with messy hair.  Usually her hair is down and messy but I convinced her to let me put it up so I could at least see some of her face. 
f/10
1/125
iso200
116mm

2 comments:

  1. yea, action shots and regular portraits are two different ball games. But there are some who do a great job at combining the two, like catching the smile on a kids face as their dad throws them up in the air. Trevor on his bike looks good.

    I don't think Kylie looks overexposed. Since I shoot RAW, I never care if I'm a little overexposed, as long as I'm not "blowing" something beyond recovery. Overexposure can cause more Chromatic aberation, which is like a green/magenta outline that can outline a person. You don't want that. And, with you 50mm, you'll have to be more careful about that, because it's worse with primes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. are you looking at your histogram? Turn it to RGB histogram if you can. Make sure you're not ever blowing the red channel. It's blowing if it goes all the way to the right.

    ReplyDelete